The following guidance is for general clinical data submission. For special circumstances, please follow information provided by CMS.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid requires 100% clinical data (hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and vascular access) on 100% of patients in EQRS. If 100% of data is not submitted that facility is regarded as non-compliant by CMS. In order to submit 100% Clinical Data in EQRS, Follow these 7 steps below.
1. Submit your monthly clinical data into EQRS by the last day of the following month for the previous to previous month. For example, submit your September data into EQRS by November 30. CMS will close months in EQRS for clinical data entry.
2. Find patients with missing or saved clinical data that needs to be submitted for each collection type
(hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis AND vascular access). Be sure that your facility has clicked the SUBMIT button to submit patient clinical data in EQRS. Reminder - data in a Saved status will not be considered submitted by CMS, and your facility will not receive credit for this data!
• Sign in to EQRS and open the "Manage Clinical" screen under patient tab.
• In the Collection Type drop-down list, select the collection type to search (Hemodialysis, Peritoneal Dialysis, or Vascular Access).
• In the Clinical Month drop-down, select an open clinical month to search
• In the "Patient Clinical Status" drop-down, select "With Saved Clinical Values" and click on "Search Patients" button to search for patients with saved clinical values. Patients with saved data that has not been submitted will be displayed in the "Select Patient" drop-down list. You must select each patient in this list and click "submit" to submit the the clinical data to EQRS.
• In the "Patient Clinical Status" drop-down, select "Without Clinical Values" and click on "Search Patients" to search for patients without clinical values. Patients without clinical data will be displayed in the "Select Patient" drop-down list. You must select each patient in this list and submit the missing data in EQRS.
3. Use the N/A (Not Available) option properly:
• Use the N/A (Not Available) option on patients with no available hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis or vascular access clinical values for the reporting month. This will satisfy the CMS requirement for clinical data submission.
• Use the N/A (Not Available) option on patients with no clinical information available because the patient did not dialyze at your facility during the reporting month (i.e., patients passed away or in the hospital). This will satisfy the CMS requirement for clinical data submission.
4. To monitor missing data, use the Manage Clinical screen.
5. Submit and resolve possible duplicate patients before the month closes in EQRS to avoid any missing patients. Submit ticket to IPRO ESRD Network Program.
6. Admit patients into EQRS before the month closes so clinical data can be submitted timely.
7. On the last day of each month, check EQRS for missing and saved data for the reporting months. There is no way to “fix” your data once CMS closes a month in EQRS.